CALD Older People Resource for Health Providers [HTML, PDF]
This HTML and PDF provides a general guide and essential culture-specific knowledge and cultural approaches for health providers working with CALD older people from Asian, Middle Eastern and African backgrounds.
It contains research material and guidelines. It also present case scenarios in multi-media and text formats to enhance the learning process.
This resource is for health providers working with CALD older people and their families in primary, community, mental health, secondary care, home-based support services (HBSS), and residential aged care (RAC) settings.
Information about CALD older adult populations
General cultural perspectives including working with families, decision-making, religious and cultural practices and the implication for practice
Cultural perspectives, cultural approaches, tools and case scenarios in the following areas/services:
Assessment, Treatment and Rehabilitation
Needs Assessment and Coordination (NASC)
Residential Aged Care (RAC)
Elder Abuse and Neglect
Advance Care Plan and Advance Directive
It is expected that viewers of this resource will:
have completed "CALD 1 - Culture and Cultural Competency" course
be familiar with Ministry of Health and DHB protocols on interventions in suspected cases of Elder Abuse and Neglect
Additionally it is highly recommended that the viewers of this resource will have completed:
- CALD 2 - Working with Migrants Patients
- CALD 3 - Working with Refugee Patients
- CALD 4 - Working with Interpreters
Additional valuable information on working in a culturally competent way with migrants, refugees and interpreters can be found in the following courses and supplementary resources:
To access the above courses you need to check your eligibility and how to register/enrol.
This resource is available in three formats. You can access them as follows:
- HTML online version: Click on the GO TO LOGIN button below to go to the LOGIN page to access your eCALD® user account. Once you are in your account, you will be able to find the resource under the ONLINE RESOURCES section. Reminder: please complete pre-requisite course(s). If you do not have an account, please check eligibility and how to register/enrol for a course here. NB. the online resource contains multi-media scenarios and require viewers to use headphones or speakers.
- PDF Version: Click the DOWNLOAD SUPPLEMENT button below to access this.
- Paperback (limited edition): Click the REQUEST PAPER COPY button below to request for a copy.
Researched and written by Dr Annette Mortensen and Sue Lim.
Produced by eCALD® Services, Waitemata District Health Board (2014).
Reviewed and republished: March 2017.
© Waitemata District Health Board (2017).
Middle Eastern Residential Aged Care Advance Care Planning stroke African Needs Assessment and Coordination dementia CALD assessment older people mental health Asian Treatment and Rehabiliation end of life care Elder Abuse and Neglect