CALD 1CS - Cultural Competency & Customer Service
This course is a pre-requisite for all courses for Culturally Diverse Workplaces. The content of this course is similar to the CALD 1 Culture & Cultural Competency course. It is suitable for health workforce working in customer service roles (eg GP/ward receptionists, pharmacists, triage nurses, volunteers) including non-clinical roles (eg recruitment and administration) to gain cultural awareness, sensitivity, knowledge and skills that are applicable in cross-cultural interactions.
- 3 hours online course will be available for enrolment soon
- 4 hours face to face course will be available by group booking only
This course is intended for the health workforce working in primary care, secondary care or NGO services in customer service or other non-clinical roles.
The aim of the course is to increase awareness of your own cultural values and cultural values different from your own; to help you recognise cultural differences and evaluate how the differences can affect cross-cultural interactions and communication; and develop skills to apply the principles of cultural competence in your interaction with CALD clients.
At the end of the course, participants will:
- Understand the need for cultural competency.
- Be more aware of your own cultural values.
- Understand and learn how to apply the four elements of cultural competency (cultural awareness, sensitivity, knowledge and skills) when working with clients from cultures different from one’s own.
- Understand cultural sensitivity in practice.
- Gain knowledge and skills to develop cultural competency in cross-cultural interactions.
On completing this course you will have developed new skills in cultural competency; and become aware of different cultural values and how assumptions, interpretations and judgements can impact on how we communicate with and understand our CALD clients or colleagues during interactions.
Highly recommended online resources:
- Toolkit for Health Workforce Working in a Culturally Diverse Workplace
- Cross Cultural Resources for Health Practitioners working with CALD clients
Highly recommended CALD "Courses for Culturally Diverse Workplaces"
- For Managers: Managing Cultural Diverse Teams
- For Teams: Working in Culturally Diverse Teams
- For Migrant staff: Intercultural Competence for the Migrant Workforce