CALD 11 - Working with Addiction with CALD Clients
This course is produced by eCALD Services in collaboration with Asian Family Services. The course is available in face-to-face format and will be available in online format on 30th September 2019.
- 4 hours (DAPAANZ accredited) face-to-face training.
- Online course will be available in Oct/Nov 2019 or earlier - tba.
It is expected that participants enrolling into this course, must have the basic knowledge about working with clients within the addiction context and have completed the following pre-requisite or recommended course(s):
This course is intended for anyone working with addiction clients.
The aim of the course is to provide strategies for managing cross-cultural issues during the engagement, assessment, and treatment process in an addiction context when working with CALD clients and their families.
- Addiction in this course refers to gambling, alcohol, drug and gaming.
- CALD clients in this course refer to culturally and linguistically diverse clients from Asian, Middle Eastern and African background.
Participants completing this course will:
- Become aware of the importance of culturally competent addiction services for CALD clients and families
- Have a better understanding of the barriers to access, cross cultural issues with engagement, assessment and treatment when working with CALD clients and families in addiction settings
- Gain skills to develop trust and rapport with CALD clients and families.
- Gain skills in cross-cultural clinical assessment, screening and treatment
On completing this course you will have greater insight of the issues surrounding addiction issues with CALD clients and their families; will become aware of how to develop rapport and trust with CALD clients and families and gain skills in cross-cultural engagement, assessment and intervention with CALD clients.
Scenarios, interactive discussions [were] very helpful for learning. [The course is] very relevant and necessary.
Excellent, learnt a lot..
I feel very enlightened and will be advocating for more of this training for the Gambling Harm workforce.
Great video clips.
List of other resources you can access:
- Ayurvedic Medicine [Video] - Pre-requisites CALD 1 and 2
- Working with Religious Diversity [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- Working with CALD Families - Disability Awareness [Supplement] - Pre-requisites CALD 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8
- Working with Asian Mental Health Clients [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- Working with Middle Eastern and African Mental Health Clients [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- CALD Caring for Asian Children Resource for Health Providers Working with Asian families [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1