About the Cross Cultural Interest Group (CCIG)
Caption: From left to right seating: Patrick Au, Dr Sai Wong and Sue Wong. From left to right standing: Jim Xu, Sheila Chan, Dr Aram Kim and Dr Gary Cheung.
The Cross Cultural Interest Group programme was set up by Dr Sai Wong, ONZM in 2002. Over the last 16 years membership has grown to over 1000 members.
The current membership of the group includes psychiatrists, social workers, psychologists, occupational therapists, nurses and interpreters working with mental health clients.
The aim of the group is to promote interest and knowledge in cross cultural mental health to ensure the workforce continues to improve the management of culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) people with mental health needs.
The Group meets regularly. Specialists including psychiatrists, academics, doctors, nurses, clinical psychologists, social workers and occupational therapists are invited to present topics of practical interest and value to the members at the group meetings.
In the past 8 years, the presentations have also been broadcasted via webcast to allow access for those who are physically unable to attend. The online availability of live webcasts has been particularly important for health professionals outside Auckland who have little access to cultural support and services. The contents of the presentation are summarised in the regular newsletters and also recorded on DVDs which are made available to members. Over the years, the group has accumulated over 60 topics.
From 1st May 2018:
- An academic and professional Advisory Group has been established to guide the professional development programme offered to mental health workforce in the Auckland and out of Auckland region through regular cross-cultural presentations.
- Administrative support for the advisory group and activity will be provided by Sue Lim and Sue Wong.
- The Group activities will be sponsored by eCALD® Services and Dr Sai Wong.
- How to contact eCALD Services for queries regarding the Cross Cultural Interest Group activity
- The Cross Cultural Interest Group (CCIG) newsletters (current and past news)
- Why and how to join the CCIG membership?
CCIG Advisory Group Members
Information and photos of the advisory group members.
CCIG membership application
If you join as a member you will receive newsletters and information about the next upcoming event.
A list of the previous cross-cultural topics are available on DVDs or via secured video access on request.
ZOOM ENROLMENT for the 18th August 2020 "The harmful effects of e-cigarette and vaping"
Zoom registration will close by 13th August 2020.
FACE-TO-FACE ENROLMENT for "Cultural complexities in capacity assessments" [20 October 2020]
RSVP is required for catering purposes and closes on 13th October 2020. Limited spaces.
FACE-TO-FACE SESSION CLOSED: "The harmful effects of e-cigarette and vaping" [18th August 2020]
Face-to-face enrolment is closed, we have reached full enrolment. If you wish to attend you can enrol for the zoom webinar session instead.