Module 201 - Interpreting remotely in the healthcare setting [INT]
This course is intended for PROFESSIONALLY TRAINED INTERPRETERS with knowledge or experience working in the healthcare setting.
The course aims to provide the essential knowledge and skills to help interpreters provide more effective remote interpreting services when working in the healthcare setting.
With the requirement for stricter social distancing, we are now offering REMOTE TRAINING OPTION via zoom, as well as e-learning.
For more information about this course click on the following headings:
- 1.5-hour remote face-to-face training via zoom.
- 3-hour self-paced e-learning with additional examples provided.
Participants after completing the course will:
- gain knowledge of the proficiency expected from professional interpreters and gain strategies to align expectations
- gain technical and essential knowledge on how to deliver remote interpreting services professionally
- understand the limitations of remote interpreting and how to address them
- gain know-how to proactively work with health practitioners during pre-briefing, the interpreting session and debriefing session
- be aware of the importance of and strategies for self-care.
Below is a few examples of what learners (interpreters) have said about the course:
(Source: eCALD(®) LMS database: post-training evaluation data).
Applied learning into practice successfully and had a great learning experience.
Remote F2F course: "After I attended the training, I had to provide three interpreting sessions today. I politely initiated the pre-brief & structuring with the clinicians (to establish the objectives, consecutive interpreting process, a cue to pause and allow interpreting); I reminded clinicians to inform patients that everything said in the session will be interpreted. I did these with clinicians in 3 different sessions and they all appreciated it. They thanked me for helping them understand and I believe that it resulted in a good outcomes for the patients and good patients’ experiences as well."
Remote F2F course: "After the training session on how to practise interpreting remotely online, not only did I a hang of how to set up the online system, including the " Zoom App ", also having a first but awesome in field-like experience while we're being asked to point out any dialogue or behaviour were practicing against "The Code of Ethics" of interpreting in two of prospective demonstration scenes."
The course provided enhanced understanding and new knowledge.
E-learning course: "This is a thoroughly designed training course for interpreters which covers a lot of practical issues that we have met during the practice. We may not need or have the opportunity to apply all the things we have learnt in this course in our practice, but with the awareness, it will make interpreters feel more of control of our job. It also gives us more confidence to do our job better, and our communications with the HPs and patients will be smoother."
Remote F2F training: "Great course, enhanced what we already know and are doing and at the same time highlighted to the new challenges that we will be facing in this new era of interpreting. Its a huge learning curve for everyone involved so staying calm , communicating, clarifying is the key to the success of everyone involved. Thank you for taking the time to go through this with us, much appreciated."
Remote F2F trainng: "I was quite ignorant about this ZOOM-oriented setting, so had a bit of wiggling. But now have a better idea how it works. Its good to learn this skill especially at time of such a high demand of this kind of meeting/ communication in community as well. Thanks."
The course was highly valued.
E-learning cousre: "The course was interactive and informative."
Remote F2F course: "The eCALD trainer did a great job. Thanks for offering this free training session. It will be important for the times ahead and it never hurts for interpreters to refresh their knowledge and professional development."
Remote F2F course: "The eCALD trainer was presiding over the 1.5 hrs long session so easy & comfortably that all of the attendees were able to complete the course with the strong feeling of great fufilment & worthwhile doing sign up the course at the end."
Here are some resources for you to access:
- Make sure you have downloaded your Zoom app on your device before you join the session
- NB: If you not familiar with using Zoom, you can get the tutorial from this youtube link.
- It is recommended that you join the session at least 15 minutes before the start time to get yourself set up.
- Click here to find out how to join your approved remote training session here.
- Click here for more information about Remote F2F Training
- How to register for an eCALD® account? To create an account please go to this LOGIN page.
- Who is eligible to enrol into this module? Professionally trained interpreters working in the healthcare setting.