CALD 7 - Working with Religious Diversity
- 4 hours (CME/CNE/MOPS accredited) for classroom / face-to-face training
- 3 hours (CME/CNE/MOPS accredited) for online self-paced, self-reflective, interactive learning
This course is intended for anyone working in primary care, secondary care or mental health services. Faith and religion is one of the most significant components of cultural practice, and religious beliefs can have a critical impact on a patient and their family’s healthcare decisions.
The aim of this course is to ensure learners are aware of religious diversity and know how to assess and accommodate the spiritual/religious needs of patients and families.
Note: This course is not about teaching religions. It is about managing cross-cultural interactions with patients from diverse religious backgrounds.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the key elements of four religions – Islam, Sikhism, Hinduism, and Buddhism.
- Outline broadly, the health beliefs of people from these four religions.
- Have an understanding of how religious beliefs affect health practices and care preferences.
- Gain skills on how to assess and accommodate religious beliefs and practices.
- Broach subjects relating to faith or spirituality sensitively and gain the information needed to provide effective healthcare.
On completing this course you will have more knowledge about a range of religious beliefs and practices from Islam, Sikhism, Hinduism and Buddhism. You will have a better understanding of the influence of religious beliefs on patients and their families’ health, behaviour, and wellness; and have developed new skills to enhance your health interventions and patient adherence with treatment plans.
Very interesting-valuable learning experience, a must for all employees
Excellent course. Learned valuable information re religions
Excellent opportunity for learning more about different religions/beliefs and gain increase in understanding around the value of this to better support patients and their experiences
A most useful addition to the CALD learning material. A valuable resource and then I shall recommend to as many people as possible
I like the set up of the on line learning, this subject was particularly interesting and well presented
This module was interesting taking into consideration the requirements of someone's faith and religious belief
List of other resources you can access:
- Ayurvedic Medicine [Video] - Pre-requisites CALD 1 and 2
- Working with Religious Diversity [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- Working with CALD Families - Disability Awareness [Supplement] - Pre-requisites CALD 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8
- Working with Asian Mental Health Clients [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- Working with Middle Eastern and African Mental Health Clients [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- CALD Caring for Asian Children Resource for Health Providers Working with Asian families [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1