CALD 6 - Working with CALD clients in Palliative care
WATCH THIS SPACE: This course is produced by Waitematā District Health Board (WDHB) ‐ eCALD® Services in collaboration with Dr Mandy Parris-Piper (Palliative Care Clinician).
This course will only be available in online format at the end of February 2020.
- 4 hours (CME/CNE/MOPS accredited) face-to-face training
It is expected that participants enrolling into this course, must have the basic knowledge about working with clients in palliative care settings and have completed the following pre-requisite or recommended course(s):
This course is intended for anyone working with CALD clients in palliative care.
This course aims to provide strategies for managing cross-cultural interactions, treatment, and interventions when working with CALD clients and families during palliative and end-of-life care.
- CALD clients in this course refer to culturally and linguistically diverse clients from Asian, Middle Eastern and African background.
Participants completing this course will:
- Become aware of the importance of a culturally oriented approach and being culturally competent.
- Have a better understanding of the cultural issues surrounding palliative care practice with CALD clients and their families.
- Gain strategies to develop trust and rapport with CALD clients and families.
- Gain cross-cultural knowledge and skills in intervening with CALD clients and their families in end-of-life care, advanced care planning and advanced directives, pain management, and death and dying.
- Gain knowledge and skills how to assess and use interpreters more effectively in the palliative care setting.
On completing this course you will have greater insight of the cross-cultural challenges and the factors impacting on CALD clients and their families engaging and communicating with service providers; you will also become aware of how to develop rapport and trust with CALD clients and families and gain skills in cross-cultural communication, assessment and intervention with CALD clients in palliative care.
List of other resources you can access:
- Ayurvedic Medicine [Video] - Pre-requisites CALD 1 and 2
- Working with Religious Diversity [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- CALD Caring for Asian Children Resource for Health Providers Working with Asian families [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1