CALD 3 - Working with Refugees Patients
- 4 hours (CME/CNE/MOPS accredited) for classroom / face-to-face training
- 3 hours (CME/CNE/MOPS accredited) for online self-paced, self-reflective, interactive learning<
This course is intended for anyone working in primary care, secondary care or mental health services who wants to work more effectively with refugee patients/clients. Very few refugees emerge from their experiences without having endured or witnessed some form of physical and/or psychological trauma.
The aim of this course is to help you work better with refugee patients and families, during consultations; to increase your awareness of their settlement challenges; and to guide you on how to respond to the traumatic experiences a refugee patient and their families may have endured.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the refugee experience and the stressors of resettlement in New Zealand society.
- List some presenting health and mental health issues for refugees.
- Demonstrate an ability to address sensitive issues with people from refugee backgrounds.
- Use strengths-based approaches to interventions with refugee patients/families.
- Integrate learning about refugee health care in practice.
On completing this course you will have a better understanding of the ‘refugee experience’ and the long-term physical and psychological impacts on refugees resettled in New Zealand; and have developed new skills on how to use strengths-based interventions in planning care with refugee patients and their families.
Very practical, relevant and helpful
This is such a valuable learning tool. Helping one to have compassion but also giving practical tools of understanding for our practice
Learnt a lot and reinforce the work I have been doing
Enhanced my knowledge
List of resources you could access:
- Ayurvedic Medicine [Video] - Pre-requisites CALD 1 and 2
- Working with Religious Diversity [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- Working with CALD Families - Disability Awareness [Supplement] - Pre-requisites CALD 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8
- Working with Asian Mental Health Clients [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- Working with Middle Eastern and African Mental Health Clients [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- CALD Caring for Asian Children Resource for Health Providers Working with Asian families [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1