CALD 1+4 - Cultural Competency & Working with Interpreters
A pre-requisite to other CALD courses. This course is a combination of the two courses: CALD 1 Culture and Cultural Competency and CALD 4 Working with Interpreters.
This course will help learners develop skills in cultural competency; become aware of how assumptions, interpretations, and judgments impact on how we communicate; and gain practical knowledge and skills to work with interpreters effectively when working CALD patients/clients during consultations.
With the requirement for stricter social distancing, we are now offering REMOTE TRAINING OPTIONS via zoom, on top of the current range of e-learning culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) e-learning (online) courses.
We used zoom features in our remote zoom training to keep participants engaged, eg:
- breakout rooms for small group discussions
- whiteboard for recording discussions within the wider group
- chat-box to engage learners with specific activities
- multi-media to enhance teaching points.
For more information about this course click on the following headings:
- 4 hours (CME/CNE/MOPS accredited) for face-to-face in-person or remote face-to-face training via video conferencing.
This course is intended for health professionals working in secondary care, primary care or NGO sector.
The aim of this course is to introduce learners to cultural competence when working with CALD migrant and refugee patients from Asian, Middle Eastern and African backgrounds and with Interpreters. It is a combination of the following two courses from the CALD Cultural Competency Training Programme:
- CALD 1 Culture and Cultural Competency
- CALD 4 Working with Interpreters
Participants completing this course will:
- Gain skills on how to apply the four elements of cultural competency (awareness, knowledge, sensitivity and skills) in practice to develop cultural competency.
- Gain skills on how to work with effectively with Interpreters; including pre-briefing, structuring a session and de-briefing.
List of other resources:
- Ayurvedic Medicine [Video] - Pre-requisites CALD 1 and 2
- Working with Religious Diversity [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- Working with CALD Families - Disability Awareness [Supplement] - Pre-requisites CALD 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8
- Working with Asian Mental Health Clients [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- Working with Middle Eastern and African Mental Health Clients [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- CALD Caring for Asian Children Resource for Health Providers Working with Asian families [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1