CALD 1+4 - Cultural Competency & Working with Interpreters
- 4.5 hours (CME/CNE/MOPS accredited) face-to-face training.
This course is intended for health professionals working in secondary care, primary care or NGO sector.
The aim of this course is to introduce learners to cultural competence when working with CALD migrant and refugee patients from Asian, Middle Eastern and African backgrounds and with Interpreters. It is a combination of the following two courses from the CALD Cultural Competency Training Programme:
- CALD 1 Culture and Cultural Competency
- CALD 4 Working with Interpreters
Participants completing this course will:
- Gain skills on how to apply the four elements of cultural competency (awareness, knowledge, sensitivity and skills) in practice to develop cultural competency.
- Gain skills on how to work with effectively with Interpreters; including pre-briefing, structuring a session and de-briefing.
On completing this course you will develop skills in cultural competency, and become aware of how assumptions, interpretations and judgements impact on how we communicate and understand our CALD patients/clients during consultations.
List of other resources:
- Ayurvedic Medicine [Video] - Pre-requisites CALD 1 and 2
- Working with Religious Diversity [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- Working with CALD Families - Disability Awareness [Supplement] - Pre-requisites CALD 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8
- Working with Asian Mental Health Clients [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- Working with Middle Eastern and African Mental Health Clients [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1
- CALD Caring for Asian Children Resource for Health Providers Working with Asian families [Supplement] - Pre-requisite CALD 1